The New Mexico Public Banking Act will be heard in the House Commerce and Economic Development Committee this Wednesday, February 17th at
The New Mexico Public Banking Act will be heard in the House Commerce and Economic Development Committee this Wednesday, February 17th at 1:30pm.
New Mexico is at the forefront of a national movement. Let’s make sure our voices are heard. A public bank will transform New Mexico’s finances to help economic development efforts across the state, help small business owners achieve their dreams, help farmers finance new ways to grow and distribute their crops and give our state a brighter future.
Contact committee members today in support of HB236. Call or email each one.
Guidance for Writing to Legislators
To write legislators, provide a personal statement including the reasons you support the Public Banking Act in your own words:
- State your name, the organization to which you are affiliated and where you are from.
- If your comments are directed to the chair of the committee, note that the legislation is scheduled in his or her committee.
- If your own legislator is a member of the committee, acknowledge that in your message.
Key talking points
A public bank WILL:
- Help entrepreneurs, farmers, developers and small businesses
- Invest NM revenue in NM
- Help bring capital to small businesses
- Be chartered and fully regulated
- Help economic development
- Be able to access the Federal Reserve
A public bank WILL NOT:
- Compete with community banks
- Take municipal deposits away from community banks
- Have branches
- Divert money away from critical state projects
House Commerce & Economic Development Committee (HCEDC)
Antonio “Moe” Maestas (D), Chair, (505) 986-4333, [email protected]
Natalie Figueroa (D), Vice Chair, 505) 986-4255, [email protected]
Alonzo Baldonado (R), (505) 986-4221, [email protected]
Rebecca Dow (R), (505) 986-4336, [email protected]
Kelly K. Fajardo (R), (505) 986-4215, [email protected]
Doreen Y. Gallegos (D), (505) 986-4774, [email protected]
D. Wonda Johnson (D), (505) 986-4433, [email protected]
Javier Martínez (D), (505) 986-4420, [email protected]
Jane E. Powdrell-Culbert (R), (505) 986-4214, [email protected]
Linda Serrato (D), (505) 986-4464, [email protected]
Join the Hearing
Offer public comment during the hearing on Wednesday, February 17th at 1:30pm. Participants are allotted 60 seconds of public comment time if called upon. To let them know of your support, join in the hearing.
Use this Zoom link to access the hearing on Wednesday, February 17th at 1:30pm:
Join the meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83846715600
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +12532158782,,83846715600# or +13462487799,,83846715600#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US:+12532158782 or+13462487799 or+16699009128 or+13017158592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 558 8656
Webinar ID: 838 4671 5600
(Wednesday) 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm